New Year's Resolutions and David Bowie - RIP



So.  My goal was to write something every day this year.  I fucked that up.  Unless you consider the new year as beginning on January 11th.

Today is an odd day for me.  It started in the normal way.  Up at 8:30.  Made my way downstairs to my office.  Clicked on the lap top to check my work emails, and then head down for my first cup of coffee.  MSN came up on the laptop after I VPN'd into work.  First headline is this...


... My heart sank.  I called out to Steph and shared the news.  "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer," (Rolling Stone; Kory Grow; https://rollingstoneaus.com/music/post/david-bowie-dead-aged-69/2959-page-1) 

David Bowie was my musical childhood.  He was my musical education.  On the floor of my brother's bedroom.  Hearing the scratch of needle on vinyl... before the first strums of his guitar. Listening to "Space Oddity".  Loving it, not because I understood it... because I truly didn't... but because I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up.  It wasn't until much later that I truly understood what the song meant.

He was my adolescent education... he was exciting and foreign because he sang about sex and homosexuality.  He celebrated life in all its wacky splendor.  Very simply... I wanted to be David Bowie.

So. I don't know what the fuck to make of this.  Not sure there is anything to be made of this.  Death is part of life.  At least he lived his spectacular life.  At least I got to experience his spectacular life.  I am better for it... I think.  And in the end... I doubt that there will be epitaphs written for me quite like those that are being written for Bowie.  I often wonder if I would want to be famous.  I don't think so.  I just want to be remembered.  To have had an impact in this life that will keep my name on the lips of those I leave behind.  I don't know.  My legacy is not yet written, and not yet certain... but somehow doubtful that anyone, except a scant few, will remember me when I am gone.

I miss you David Bowie.

And now for the least important part of my title... RIP New Year's resolutions.  I had made myself a promise that I would write every day.  Something.  No agenda.  No judgements... just something every day.  Well this is the 11th of January.  My first entry.  Let me say this... it is still my goal to write about something every day... just not a resolution.

Comments

Popular Posts