School Year - 2012-2013

Last day of freedom, is how my boys put it.  Tomorrow begins the new school year.  And they aren't happy about it... and you know... i am not sure that I am either.

There are many reasons, but let's start with the fact that my oldest son is now a senior.  He is growing into a fine young man every parent hopes for! That being true, why am I anything but thrilled? Because, simply put, I am not ready for him to not need me anymore.  I am not ready to be obsolete!  I know that is greedy and a bit sad, but it's honest.

My middle son, a new freshman, at Chatfield HS, is growing up and growing away.  The reasons are the same as I stated above... He is growing up and away, and while intensely proud, I am not ready to become secondary, or worse in his life.

Middle School!  No more elementary school for us!  Youngest son is now in middle school at Deer Creek.   There is only one word that adequately describes my time in Middle School... SUCKS!  So I worry about him.  He is a very serious young man, and he seems to be a bit more sensitive to the social pressures than my others were.  I worry he will struggle in middle school.  This on top of the up-tick in academic and social pressures... i hope he is ready.  I hope that I am ready to support him the right way.

The reality of all of this is that time marches on.  There is no slowing it down.  The more I try, like trying to squeeze water, it flows through my fingers faster and faster!

Watching the boys grow has been a mixed bag of pride and sadness.  Every parent wants their kids to grow up to have a fair shot at being successful and happy adults.  I think my wife and I have done this.  I suppose that 'time will tell'.  And all we can do is watch and wait.

I suppose this must be what every loving parent goes through.  Waiting, watching, regretting the lost time, the missed opportunities to teach, to lead, to inspire.  I am also sure, that as their kids grow up into good people... the pride must be what overrides all the doubt and fear.

So, the new school year starts tomorrow, and while I am not happy that this is another marker of time, I am excited (and a bit scared) to see where the boys go academically and socially over the course of this year.  I will try and remember the affirmation:  God grant me the serenity to know that there are things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comments

Popular Posts