2011 - A New Year?

As I sit here in my father's living room, I wonder what to write about...

Should I write about 2010, and how glad I am that it is over... or should I write about the open book that is 2011? Neither is the truth.

2010 wasn't a terrible year and it wasn't a good year either. Yes, my mom died at the end of 2010. That was a very terrible way to put the cap on 2010. But... and there is almost always a "but" in life... it brought my brother and my sister home from France to spend the holidays with Dad. I was able to spend a lot of time with them... and I jealously guard my time with them. It brought Tom out to Denver from Philadelphia. It brought Pete here form Connecticut... none of those things would have happened if we hadn't experienced the tragedy of my mom's passing.

And, I have to say, I am not terribly excited about the prospects for 2011. I, like many people, am working in a job that I really don't like. I have no passion for it. It isn't the worst job ever... and don't get me wrong, I really like the pay check... but it isn't my passion.

With every passing year, my life passes quickly away from me. It makes me sad to think that I am now 42 years old, and have really done nothing of consequence with my life. My kids are growing up and away from me. They don't really need me anymore... and in the case of my oldest... I don't think he wants me anymore either. I have truly squandered life's gift, that of children and the ability to mold them into the people we all need them to be.

So... what do you do with all of this? Do you hang you head? Do you take the long walk off the short peer? NO. You do the best you can. You keep your hopes high, your head up. You dream of the future, and you make plans for a better tomorrow. I don't know that there is anything of value in what I have written... more than likely it is totally bunk.

So, Happy New Year! I really hope that it is! For everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts