The Importance of the Blog


The other day, Steph, came to me and said that she wanted to blog, but didn't know where to do it. I suggested Blogger, because, well... that is where I am blogging, and it seemed cozy to have her blogging here with me.

She said that she didn't want anyone else reading her blog, and it got me to wondering. I say that I want followers, but then again, I don't really have any. My dear friend Toby is the one and only(hoping that now that she knows I am here too, she will follow me as well). Even my siblings don't follow my rants. Maybe that is because they have heard it all before... or maybe I am just not as interesting as Cracked.com or something similar.

I wonder if my blog isn't interesting to anyone is that I don't have a consistent theme. For example, I am not a political blogger. I don't comment on everything right or left wing. I have put political comments on my blog, but they don't dominate. I like to write about the things in Denver and Colorado sports that touch me, but this isn't a sports blog either. I have (on accident, I assure you) said a funny thing or two, but this surely isn't only a comedy blog. Does it have to be one thing or another to get a following? I really want to know.

So, if you are blogging just for yourself, are you really blogging? Or, as Steph put it, are you just electronically journaling? And if it is just electronic journaling, is there anything wrong with that? Are they one and the same?

I don't know the answers to these questions. Maybe one of my many fans and blog followers will respond and set me straight... Toby?

Either way, I have found the opportunity to rant like this in a way that is not totally private, but not totally public has emboldened me. I step slightly out of my shell when I put my thoughts and feelings into this blog... and I guess if I were to use it more often, I would see a growing benefit.

Comments

Popular Posts