So Long, Joe!

Today is a very sad day for me. Like it was years ago with another Denver pro sports icon said goodbye - John Elway. Today, Joe Sakic - Captain of the Colorado Avalanche - said goodbye to hockey.

I found myself sitting at my desk, with tears in my eyes. Sad because I will miss his on ice skill. Sad because I think Joe represented something very special and not often seen off the ice.. and that is the spirit of a true gentleman.

On the ice one could not help but be amazed at what he could do... Off the ice, I will always remember him for the gentlman he is. I will never forget the time he took, while shopping at Safeway late one night back in 98-99, to take the time to shake my hand, talk to me, and ask about my young (at the time Stephen was less that 4 and Kenton was a new-born) boys. I was floored. He seemed like he had all the time in the world for me... even though I am sure that he just wanted to shop and go home. That rare glimpse of the man made me a fan of his forever.

It was mentioned by Woody Paige of the Denver Post - during his comments at Joe's retirement press conference, and it is worth mentioning that it is the moment that solidified Joe's true greatness in my mind too. It is the moment on the ice that convinced me that the man I had watch play for years. Had cheered thru many games, was indeed the man I met at Safeway... the moment when he handed the 2000 Stanley Cup to Ray Bourque. He could have, as was his right as Captain, taken that first spin around the ice with the Cup above his head... but he didn't. He gave it to the man who had been chasing the dream longer than he had. It was the classiest act I have ever seen in sports.

I find it hard to understand why it is that I get so caught up emotionally in and with the pro sports teams in Colorado. I suppose it is because I am one of those rare birds... a Colorado Native, in love with all things Colorado. Especially those things that make Colorado seem a little brighter than all the rest. Our claim on Joe Sakic as our "Captain" made me proud. He made the city love hockey again. He was never caught up in all the "pro athlete" hype and egotism that you see from so many in professional sports.

It is fitting that the Avalanche should retire his sweater at the start of next season. I hope that we will see Joe around... in the arena, on the TV, in the store (maybe I will meet him again in "our" Safeway and shake his hand and tell him man-to-man how much I appreciated his talent on the ice, and his gentlemanliness off the ice).

I usually advise my boys to not idolize sports figures... because they are bound to let you down... but I encourage them to idolize Joe, because if they become the kind man that he is, I will be very proud, very proud indeed.

Comments

Popular Posts