The Failure of Reason and Civil Discource




My brother sent me this link. It centers around Bill O'Reilly but more importantly focuses on the ways in which he epitomizes the rhetoric, tactics, and failure of the American Right to have meaningful discussions and debates on any issue.
The article is written by Roger Ebert, yes the same Roger Ebert who did the movie review show. Don indicated that Roger is ill and not able to talk most of the time, but obviously, his Blogging skills are amazing.
I have held this feeling for a long time. In part because any discussion I have had with my conservative friends has usually ended up in this kind of diatribe. It is part of their mantra. When you can't compete intellectually - lie loudly, lie offensively - lie to degrade and demonize your opponent.
I am glad that someone like Mr. Ebert has been able to eloquently state what I have been feeling for so, so long.
I will write more later.

Comments

Popular Posts